Welcome!

This blog is a running record of my cooking/homemaking experiments. I'm on a pretty tight budget, so all of my recipes are adapted to be affordable and healthy.

Search This Blog

Monday, August 15, 2011

Eggplant Craze!

So, if I haven't mentioned it before, my husband has very slight pre-hypertension (runs in the fam), which fuels a lot of my motivation to cook healthier.  Turns out eggplant is a very heart-healthy veggie- which means I'm trying it out.  I've had it cooked for me by my Ukrainian aunt before, and it was delicious, so I went in expecting good things.  I have no idea why this veggie is feared by children! It's soft, mild, and smooth going down.  and much less intimidating to cook than one would think.  I got this (super easy!) recipe from Spicy Foods by Stendhal, which is a great resource for flavorful ethnic cuisine.  This is a Middle Eastern dish. I adapted the recipe only slightly, to streamline preparation.

Dinner of the Week

Iman Junior

Ingredients:

1 eggplant, with skin on, chopped into 1/2 inch cubes
2 can diced no-salt tomatoes
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 c fresh cilantro (or substitute 3-4 T dried cilantro and fresh spinach)
Salt
Pepper (fresh-ground adds a good kick to this dish, buts it's not completely necessary.  A mix of white and black pepper is also a yummy rendition.)
crushed red pepper
several Tbsps olive oil
1/4 c boiling water

Method:

In a very large cast-iron skillet, layer the eggplant, tomatoes, and onions, sprinkling a little salt, generous pepper, and some of the herbs/greens between layers.  Top with red pepper and garlic.  Pour boiling water and a good drizzle of oil over top.  Bring to a simmer with a tight lid or foil seal on skillet, and let simmer for 30-40 minutes, until oil forms a kind of gravy.  Serve over rice as a main dish, or with crackers as a spread for an appetizer.

I hope you enjoy my venture into Mediterranean Cuisine! What's your favorite cuisine?  Do you have any good eggplant recipes to share? Please feel free to comment or email me with answers! And keep checking back for this month's Double Green Tip, I intend to post it later this week. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment