Welcome!

This blog is a running record of my cooking/homemaking experiments. I'm on a pretty tight budget, so all of my recipes are adapted to be affordable and healthy.

Search This Blog

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Dinner of the Week- Chicken Burritos

Hello again!

So, this week's recipe is fairly simple, but if you love Mexican food (as I do) I don't think it'll disappoint.  I personally could eat Mexican/Hispanic food nearly every day of the week, and found this to be a nice little twist on regular burritos. 

Chicken Burritos

1 lb ground chicken
1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles
2 T cumin
2 T cilantro
2 t low-sodium cajun seasoning
1 t salt alternative
a few dashes of Tobasco
2 t garlic (fresh or powder, I prefer fresh)
dash black pepper
dash red pepper


Method:

Brown the meat in a large frying pan.  Ground chicken is softer than other ground meats, so it needs to be cooked on a slightly lower temperature (that way it doesn't burn).  Once the meat is browned, add the rest of the ingredients, cover, and simmer for 30-45 minutes. 

Something I really like on my burritos is homemade Mexican rice.

Mexican Rice

1 c rice (white or brown)
2 c water
1 small can tomato paste
2 T cumin
1 t salt alternative
dash low-sodium cajun seasoning
2-3 T of your favorite salsa
1 t cilantro
1 T oil

Cook rice as directed, but add stir in tomato paste with the water.  Once cooked, heat the oil in a large frying pan or skillet, and toss rice gently with oil and rest of ingredients.  Allow to simmer and lightly brown, then remove from heat.

I recommend topping your burritos with fresh grated mozzarella cheese. It balances the often spicy flavors of Mexican food perfectly, and the creaminess of freshly grated cheese can't be beat.  You can find hunks of part-skim mozzarella next to the queso cheeses in most grocery stores, and it's usually one of the better priced low-fat cheeses available. I like to grate this myself and freeze it in bags for easy use. 

Serve the burrito fixings with large tortillas and toppings of your choice.

Hope you enjoy! See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment