Welcome!

This blog is a running record of my cooking/homemaking experiments. I'm on a pretty tight budget, so all of my recipes are adapted to be affordable and healthy.

Search This Blog

Friday, April 1, 2011

busy-ness

So, I could go into this long spiel about how my life is crazy-insane, and how this week has been the craziest yet, but I'll spare you the details.  Just know that I'm sorry if this little blog gets neglected, but sometimes I actually have to prioritize... and that means NOT procrasti-blogging.  

BUT, I do have a few moments this evening (Happy April Fool's, by the way!) and thought I'd share one of the low-stress meals I made during this week's madness.  Enjoy!

Cinnamon Chili

Ingredients:

1 lb Ground Meat (I usually use 80-20 or 90-10 ground turkey, but I used ground chicken this time, and liked it better!) 
1-2 cans low sodium red kidney beans (use 2 if you like bean-ey chili, 1 if you like it meaty.)
1 can diced tomatoes, low sodium
1 small can tomato puree, low sodium (can you tell we're on a low-sodium diet at my house?)
1 can chicken broth, low sodium
1/4 c chopped yellow onion
chili powder
garlic powder
red pepper
cinnamon

Directions:
Brown the meat with the onions.  Drain the pan of any excess grease.  Stir in a tablespoon each of garlic and chili powder, and a teaspoon each of cinnamon and red pepper.  Allow to simmer on very low heat while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.  Pour the beans into a colander and rinse. Pour diced tomatoes, chicken broth, and tomato puree into a crockpot and stir until well mixed.  Add beans and meat and stir.  Simmer on low for 3-5 hours, stirring occasionally, and adding spices to taste.  

I personally enjoy eating my chili with sweet cornbread crumbled into it!

No comments:

Post a Comment